Kathryn Homes has been safely welcoming visitors back to its care homes across Northern Ireland in line with guidance from the Department of Health issued on 23rd March 2022.
The application of the Pathway depends upon a number of assessments undertaken by the Care Home with the Home Managers able to advise should you have any queries.
How we manage access to care homes for visiting is dictated by whether the care home has an active COVID-19 outbreak.
When The Care Home Is Not In Outbreak
When a care home is not in outbreak, the “Further Easing” stage of the Pathway means that:
- Visiting can happen in residents’ own rooms with window open
- There is no restriction on the number of people who may visit but visits must be limited to visitors from two household per day
- Care Homes will continue to operate a booking system for all visitors including evenings and weekends
- Children can visit and the responsibility will rest with the adult for supervision to ensure they adhere to all IPC measures. Any restriction on numbers has been lifted
- Close physical contact enabled to include ‘brief’ hugging. Effective hand hygiene practices and masks to remain
Taking a Trip
If the resident (while following the restrictions applicable to the general public) is able, by themselves or with assistance from their loved one, to leave the care home for a short visit out:
- Residents can continue to take trips out of the home
- Residents can stay elsewhere overnight with appropriate risk assessments
- Where the resident complies with IPC advice and with restrictions applicable to the general public there will be no requirement to isolate on return to the home
When There Is An Outbreak
If there is an outbreak in a care home, unfortunately all visits will have to be suspended, unless there are exceptional circumstances, such as end-of-life. The care home manager will continue to take direction from PHA health protection Duty Room regarding management of the outbreak and the infection prevention and control measures required.
Happily since care partners undergo routine testing, if they are infection free they can continue with existing care partner arrangements, in cooperation with the care facility.
However, everyone must consider the risks associated with an outbreak, and the potential for becoming infected, along with the increased risk to the resident.
Should you wish to schedule a visit or have any queries regarding visiting arrangements, please contact the Home Manager.